Like father Like... Daughter!
This weekend we went to Carlsbad California (near San Diego) for Ronnie's first attempt at a half marathon. He did amazing! He finished in only 1 hour and 53 minutes (1,484th out of 5,957 finishers). We were so excited to watch him come around the corner and run to the finish line. He looked great and finished strong. He is still a bit sore, but was finally able to start running again four days later after several ice baths and doses of ibprofen. We are so proud of him! Our hotel was right on the beach and the race course passed right in front of the hotel. In fact, most of the race was along the beach. We were able to walk across the street in the morning and see him run by as he reached mile 3. We waited with our sign that said "Go Daddy!".
There were some other people waiting on the sidewalk there and by the time the runners started coming, Madison made sure that everyone was cheering for them and helping her look for her daddy. He looked so good and even ran over to us and gave us each a kiss. I then packed up the kids, got them some breakfast, and headed over to the finish line to see him run in at 1:53. I nearly missed it, having to run my own race to get there in time; he was fast! The weather was perfect and the race couldn't have been better. There were 10,000 runners, 6,000 for the half and 4,000 for the full.
They had a great turnout, the race was well organized, which made running it a pleasure for Ronnie. His friend Greg from Berkeley and Osmium was there to watch his girlfriend Desiree run in the half as well and we had a fun lunch with them after the race. As part of the marathon weekend, Keebler hosted a kids fun run in LegoLand. It was a mile run for kids in strollers to 13 years old. We entered Madison, thinking she would have fun racing just like Daddy. Indeed she did and ran a great race; stopping to walk only a few times to catch her breath. Ronnie would run ahead and film her run by while holding her "Go Madison" sign up and cheering as we passed. He did the same at the finish line and caught her big moment on camera. I will have to see if I can figure out how to post video for you all; it was priceless. When she rounded the corner to see the
finish line and the crowd of people cheering, she started running faster while waving at the crowd like Miss America. The announcer caught on by seeing Ronnie with the sign and started cheering for her on the loud speaker. It was so fun to see; she was estatic to cross the finish line and get a medal "just like Daddy." We finished off the fun with a day at LegoLand. It is a fun amusement park where everything is made out of legos. It is truly amazing what they can do with those things! Madison had a blast and even asked to go on the big coasters again. I am slowly starting
to get inspired by all my runners. Though it is hard with the apartments to look after, I was able to get back in the gym a little this week. I think I am ready to start teaching again, I miss my girls!
We hope you all had a great week. We miss you all and hope to see you soon! Look for more running fun in the future, maybe there will be a "Go Mommy" sign made some day!


Wednesday, January 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What an awesome weekend and an awesome race, congratulations Ronnie and Maddie! I would love to see that video of Maddie crossing the finish line. After seeing these pictures Kylie wants to run a race just like Maddie. That's great you're going to start teaching again, Jod, I still think that's the best job ever!
Post a Comment