BEANS!
75lbs of green beans, 115 jars, 2 canners, one stove, the hottest day of the year, and 16+ hours! I need a nap!
But... I now have a year supply of green beans to enjoy! It has always been one of my favorite things to eat and my kids have followed suit. I know it will be well worth the effort, especially after I forget the pain of snipping, stuffing, cooking, lifting, and sealing 100+ jars of beans by hand. During one such snipping moment I told my mom that I always had fond memories of canning days growing up. It always meant that our friends the Ridenours would come over for the day, we would usually order pizza or go out to eat, and my sister and I were basically left to our own devices with my mom and dad busy in the kitchen. We would pop in and out, munch on a few raw beans, peaches, pears, or whatever was being canned that day, and maybe help for a few min. But mostly we played, chatted, and ran wild. Well, that stage has passed, I don't think I appreciated all that it takes to can food. It was long, painful, and really really hot! But I still want to do it again because I love it! I just love the thought of my kids eating fresh, healthy, natural food that I know is safe and good for them. And I get a HUGE sense of satisfaction packing all that food into nice organized jars that I can use and re-use for years to come. In fact, all of those jars have been handed down from my mom. And, we figured that we canned those beans for about .92 cents per quart! Not bad, you can't even get a small, processed, full of preservatives can in the store for that much! I just hope I can keep the tradition going with Madison some day. Even if we are the only two left on the planet!
I don't take responsibility for this picture, it was toward the end of the day! Little did we know we were only half way there!
Thanks for teaching me the tricks of the trade mom! It was great to be stuck in a hot kitchen with you all day and all night! I hope your fingers are turning back to normal and the green hue under your nails is fading. You are a trooper, I couldn't have done it without you! Thanks for staying up an extra 2 hours to finish so I could get some sleep for my run! You're the best!
11 comments:
That is so ambitious of you! I remember my mom canning stuff when I was growing up too, but unfortunately I haven't carried on the traditon. Good thing Jamie is picking up the slack and figuring it out. I really should give it a try and you make it sound kind of fun even. You're very inspiring!
Woah! Go Jodee!
That is so awesome. By the way, remind me who did your pictures and a website. I love what she did and now I just need to get Josh to go.
Oh man, how I wish I could be right there with you canning the day (and night) away! Unlike you, I dreaded the canning days when I was growing up because I had to actually dig in and help and felt that I had been robbed of my summer days of freedom. Just today I was telling my mom that I never thought the day would come when I would actually WANT to can food. There is definately a sense of satisfaction when you're done, although after all that hard work it's hard for me to open it up and eat it. I just want to leave it on the shelf where I can sit and admire it.
Yumm...I am glad you finished them all. We are enjoying the bag you sent home with us!
Yumm...I am glad you finished them all. We are enjoying the bag you sent home with us!
Props to you girl! My first reaction was WHAT THE H*@%! I canned one day for like 6 hours and thought, 'Is there anyone I can pay to do this for me?' I found her!--YOU! When we come to visit, I'll pay you $5 a jar with jar returned back and everything (like a thank you card).
All I'm saying is, I hope this whole being a mom-thing doesn't make me all unselfish because I about went crazy canning. LOL!
Love you girl! Aloha from Oahu!
I am impressed. I am glad you find so much joy in the process. I'll take the preservatives. ha ha
So I just canned 7 jars of raspberry jam (after the raspberry picking trip) and it was exhausting. I can't imagine canning over 100 jars...that's way too impressive. I was considering the idea of canning some tomato sauce in the next few weeks but I'm not sure I have it in me. I didn't know I had a friend who was an expert canner...it's good to know I have someone I can ask canning questions to. Good job.
Dear Jodee,
I'm really impressed with your
hard work at canning beans. I canned a lot in my life but it was always fruit. I know vegetables are much more work to can. What a hard worker you and your mom are!
You are a jewel!
With lots of love, Grandma T.
I am so impressed!!! That is a LOT of beans! I've canned salsa and jams, but never beans. I wouldn't even know how. Way to go! You are teaching Madison things that she doesn't even realize she's learning. What a great mom!
Post a Comment