Monday, January 13, 2014

pesky neighbors

We live in a new development up on a hill that used to be covered in forest.  We recognize there are wild animals and an occasional deer or rabbit is not unusual to find roaming our yards.  However, wildlife kicked it up a notch this summer when we had 3 different visits from bears.  Yes people, black bears in my back yard!

The first time I was home while grace was napping and I saw a bear cross our backyard. It backs up to a greenbelt so I am sure they pass through there more than we know but this time he got brave.  He came down the slope in our yard and headed for our side yard.  I thought maybe I would see him pass to the front of the house but instead I heard a big crash near the garage.  (Oops, maybe thats why they tell us to keep our garbage cans inside.)  After taking a few deep yoga breaths I opened the door leading out to the garage and just knew he was right outside.  We have another door that leads from the garage to the side yard with a window.  I crept up to the window and pulled back the  curtain to see this guy within arms reach.  I would have hit him with the door if I had opened it.  Instead I freaked out and tried calling Ronnie because someone had to know what the heck was happening in our yard.  He wasn't answering so I called my mom and the first thing she says is "did you get a picture?"  Oh right!  Thanks mom.  No worries, we are all fine, no limbs have been bitten off and we are safe inside, thanks for asking.  So yes, I pulled out the handy iphone and snapped away through the dirty window.  But really, who cleans the garage door window anyway?  Don't answer that.


He totally saw me and could care less
After making a mess of our side yard he heard the neighbors dogs and hopped the fence like a cat.
 Upon showing this video to my dad he says "NO!  Not the gate!"  As he had just installed a new gate on that side of our house.  I am so glad my parents have their priorities in line ;)
And then he just walked down the street crossing at the crosswalk.



A few weeks later a second bear showed up.  This one had a collar around his neck with some sort of tracking device and a tag on his ear.  After calling the local wildlife department and letting them know that there have been a few bears roaming the streets WHERE MY KIDS PLAY this is how the conversation went down:
Wildlife Lady: "Is the bear in danger?"
Me: Well no, thanks for your concern.
Wildlife Lady: "Is the bear hurt?"
Me: uh, no.
Wildlife Lady: "is the bear harming anyone?"
Me: Not at the moment.
Wildlife Lady: "Well then, there is nothing we can do."
Me: Really?  there are kids outside playing, it is the middle of the day.
Wildlife Lady: "sorry, we can't just relocate a bear for no reason"
Me: Well it has a tag on it, like it has been relocated once before.
Wildlife Lady:  "Usually that means it has been relocated in the past for aggressive behavior."
Me: OK perfect.  Thanks a bunch.

No joke, they are SUUUPER helpful!

Bear #2 taken through my bedroom window.  He looks small here.  I assure you he is not.  This time Bex was home with me.  It really is way more cool when you have someone to share the excitement with!


And bear sighting number 3 we think was the same bear in #2 on a different day.  The kids were outside on the trampoline being crazy and Ronnie was staining the fence.  They came in to get a snack and spotted the bear on our slope again.  After he left we all went outside and noticed our neighbors that live on the street above us out on their back porch. They said the bear had been roaming around for a while and didn't even mind the noise of the kids on the trampoline.  WHAT!??!!  He was wondering around while my kids were zipped inside the mesh bear trap trampoline cage and nobody thought to say anything?  Nice.  I guess thats one less christmas treat I will have to make.
Madison and her friend had planned to sleep out on the trampoline that night.  We decided an indoor sleepover was best.  We set the tent up for them in the living room and  I think they were satisfied.

Needless to say it was an exciting summer here at the Chapmans.  Who needs the zoo right?I haven't gotten to the point where I won't let my kids go out and play but I definitely do a once over of the yard before letting them loose.  

5 comments:

foreveryoung said...

Dude, that is just crazy! Really cool and really scary at the same time. I don't blame you for being nervous, as cute as they are in your pictures it's scary to know what they're capable of. But at least everyone is safe and you have some really great pictures and stories!

Matt said...

The pink flamingos are in danger! The pink flamingos are in danger!!

Jill H. said...

Holy cow!!! Those are some serious up-close bear footage!!!! YIKES!!!!! Loved your writing. What's with your parents and the wildlife control people anyway!? ;)

Elisa said...

"relocated ... for aggressive behavior" ...that's just wild. Glad you guys have stayed safe this summer. Indoor camping is fun too, right? ;)

Anonymous said...

No! Not the gate! ah ha ha dad!!!!