Tuesday, December 02, 2008

update on prev. post

*Read at your own risk... childish content follows... Please don't think less of me...

It happened... within the first 10 min. of class someone let one slip. It has happened at least once in each gym I have taught at. I still remember the first time; the radio was broken so there was no background music, they were in position for their first roll backward in the "rolling like a ball" series, I cued them to start, and the silence was broken. No one said a word. I heard a few light snickers (Jamie) but no one said a thing. I prayed for someone to say something... excuse me? oops? sorry? Just a little gas to get me back up? Anything! But alas, it went unspoken... "okay, moving on, let's try our leg series, that's pretty safe"... and I was left to hide the "Oh my gosh, did you hear that?!?!" until the class ended and I could confide in a friend (again... Jamie) discussing the different options and angles we could take if it ever happened again... OK, you're right, we laughed, we laughed and made the noise again and again. But come on, it was pretty funny the first time. Little did I know, this is part of the job description of a pilates instructor: Certifications? Check. Experience? Check. References? Check. Knowing how to keep a straight face when someone rips one in your class? Check.

Pilates is a unique atmosphere, there is no loud music, no loud counting, and no loud stepping or cycles to cover it. And as an instructor, it's a hard situation to be in; you don't want to laugh of course, you are mic'd up and there are mirrors surrounding you. The slightest smile or giggle would be seen and heard for sure. But do you ignore it? Do you try to change the ever so obvious subject? Do you make a joke? Tell everyone it happens all the time? Most of the time I have just kept on going, talking about the move we are doing or, stop and move onto another skill for fear of more... interruptions! This time though, the lady actually said "sorry", and "excuse me". That's better than nothing I guess! If it were me though (please, never be me... please!) I think I would have to address the situation; say sorry, make a little funny, and probably refer to it the rest of class! So take it from a seasoned "keeper of a straight face"; if you are ever in a pilates class and happen to let one slip, don't ignore it. Happily take responsibility for your flatulence, everyone can tell it's you anyway!

12 comments:

K kid said...

I had never thought of this particular peril of doing Pilates. I now consider myself informed. =]

Matt said...

Thank you Jodee. It is rare to get this kind of advice from a true Pilates-industry insider. A special treat indeed.

Melanie said...

This post cracks me up! Brandon and I have a close friend that also teaches Pilates and told us about how Pilates=release of gas. Good luck keeping a straight face...I am so not good at that!

foreveryoung said...

Ohhhh, I needed a laugh today! I was waiting for you to say that it was YOU who let it rip this time. Glad to hear you're still a flatulating pilates instructor virgin. Good times, good times.

Marisa said...

Maybe I don't want to come to one of our classes! Either it would be me and I would be laughing or it would someone else and I couldn't keep a straight face!

Michael Family said...

Ok, that is hilarous, because I am always afraid something will fly when I do Pilates. Mostly I end up smelling other people's gas though. Gross. But that is truly funny. And congrats on your new job! How fun!

Kat said...

Hey this just happened to me at "Boot Camp". I laughed out loud - of course - and the culprit responsible giggled back an "I'm sorry". Why is passing gas so funny? Just the kid in all of us can't resist the giggles.

Richard Tait said...

I think the problem here is that during/after Pilates, people get all "pooped" out. I wouldn' worry. however- I'm sure everything will turn out "in the end."

Janessa said...

That is hilarious! I don't think I could have held a straight face. It sounds like you've had some practice with that one though. I'm impressed nobody else cracked up. You pilates folks must be very self discplined.

val said...

I MISS U!!!!

Unknown said...

That is hilarious! I love it! Keep up the good work!

Alex and Heather said...

So funny! I still want to come to one of your classes. Hope it's going well.