Thursday, August 05, 2010

Train



In conjunction with Madison's "Nana Camp" the conundrum we face every year is how to transport her back and forth. Do we make the 6 hour trip down there or do Jodee's parents come up, or do we meet in the middle. Things were up in the air this year until I noticed that the music group "Train" was to be performing at the Maryhill Winery on the very day that we were supposed to get Maddie back from Jodee's parents. This was serendipitous for two reasons: 1) Maryhill is right by the Washington/Oregon border pretty much half way between our house and Jodee's parents' place in Powell Butte, OR and 2) every so often the kids and I get on a kick where we have a song that we love to listen to and sing together over and over and over and lately that song has been Train's "Hey Soul Sister." So I decided to give Jodee a little bit of peace with the baby and take Beckham with me down to get Maddie and then surprise them with a trip to the concert.


They make these concert going parents proud!

Because I didn't want to have to drive 3+ hours back to Issaquah after getting out of the concert late at night, we made plans to camp near Ellensburg. Bex and I set up the tent and then we were off to Maryhill State Park to meet Maddie, Nana and Papa.



The only downside to the day was that it was Jodee and my 11th anniversary. It was tough to be apart, but nice for me to form a special memory with the kids and Jo and I were able to go out to dinner together the next week to celebrate. Hopefully she'll do me the honor of many more anniversaries so I can make it up to her!

9 comments:

Shelly said...

That's awesome! Madison is a natural concert goer! You know the lead singer lives in Issaquah??

Melanie said...

What a fun experience for Ronnie to have with the kiddos! And at teh end of Nana Camp for Maddie...what a fun summer she must be having!!!

Anonymous said...

go maddie!! nice dance moves sweet girl. maybe you will be a rock star one day!!??
auntie kellee

Janessa said...

Wow, super dad! What a fun memory. It looks like they were loving it. I'm impressed with Madison. That girl knows how to have fun at a concert! It must be in her genes. Happy anniversary to you two!

Pam said...

Love Madison's rendition of "Hey Soul Sister", and Ronnie, you DID give Jodee a wonderful anniversary gift. Moms love peace and quiet time. You rock! Happy anniversary to a great couple!

foreveryoung said...

Man, so sad that I'm jealous of a 7 year old. First Nana camp, then a Train concert--no fair!

Adamson Family said...

I love it. Camping, concert, time with Dad. What a super cool life for some awesome kids.

Cassie said...

Maddie belting out "soul sister" is just about the cutest thing I've ever seen! What a fun daddy-kid date.

Sam and Josh said...

I bet that was an awesome concert. What a fun dad.