Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Toe-knee Chest-nut

We kicked off the Valentines day celebrations with a fun evening at Beckham's preschool decorating picture frames and singing songs.  He is such a sweet boy and is adored by all of his friends.  I think a few of them find him "cute" and treat him like their little child.  It's okay with him, he is totally used to it being Madison's little brother and all.  One little friend Sarah came up to him, patted him on the back, knelt down in front of him and said in her sweetest little baby talk voice "Hi Beckham, are you having a good day?  I will see you tomorrow okay?"  She was so cute but made me laugh because she was totally talking to him like he was a baby.  He didn't seem to mind and actually told me later that they play together a lot at school.  
I had a chance to help in his class on Valentine's Day.  It was so wonderful to see him interact with his friends.  You see, I worry about this little boy of mine.  He is very young for his grade and he is also very small for his age.  He is in a class with a lot of boys (11 out of the 16 kids are boys) and most of those boys are BIG 5 year olds.  I was SO worried he would be picked on, teased, or left out.  I wanted him to love school like his sister does but worried he wouldn't.  Well, I worried in vain because he was right in there with the big boys playing tag, jumping in the sand, bouncing the ball as high as they did, and running his little legs off right beside them.  They asked him to play with them, sit by them, build towers with them.  He was totally cool too; if he wasn't into it, he would just say "no thanks".  His teachers told me that he is a good listener, follows directions, and plays well with ALL the kids.  He doesn't have to be doing what the other boys are doing, but he isn't afraid to join in either.  I can't tell you how happy this made me.  I just loved watching him play with his friends and get along so well.  It made me so happy that he didn't have to follow the other kids around.  He wasn't afraid to do something different.  In fact, one day he came home wearing a pilgrim hat.  He told me that he choose to be a pilgrim girl.  I didn't think much of it until his teacher asked me to find him in a picture she took that day.  I reminded her that he was wearing a pilgrim girl hat and that is when she told me that they could choose to be whatever they wanted to be and he choose pilgrim girl because he liked their hats better.  He is the best!
I just returned from a Kindergarten meeting tonight.  KINDERGARTEN!  My little boy is going to KINDERGARTEN this fall!!!  I can't believe it but, I know he will do just fine.

And now, a little diddy from Beckham and friends... (just a disclaimer, the laughing you hear is not me.  The lady in front of me couldn't contain herself and I was using Ronnie's phone so I was holding it over her head.)
 It is a little long, but oh so worth it! 

3 comments:

Janessa said...

It is always so reassuring to hear that your kids are doing well and adapting socially. With such loving, supportive and social parents, it doesn't surprise me a bit that Beckham is doing so well. I can't belive he'll be in kindergarten this fall! That's huge. Good thing you'll still have a baby to love on all day while your big kids are gone.

Anonymous said...

Awe, Becks did such a great job! The lady laughing in the backround totally sounded like you! I loved watching the video, it really felt like I was there. Thanks for sharing! love you burro, burro much! - Rosa

foreveryoung said...

Ha! Ha! Such a cute song and little Bex really is too cute for words. I love kids that march to the beat of their own drums, it's so reassuring to see their little confidence grow. Happy v-day!