Thursday, May 16, 2013

our little hero


This is one of those stories I probably won't forget but I know Beckham probably will.  It makes me smile.  
Especially when he retells the story so seriously and matter of fact.
Bex was invited to a friends birthday party at a local club house pool.  I took him and his friend Brogan to the party and stayed to help watch all the boys running around the pool.  Beckham and Brogan stuck together like glue for the most part.  There were a lot of crazy boys and after Bex was pushed into the pool unexpectedly they hung out a lot in the more mellow hot tub.  However, once every so often the draw of the kayak floating in the big pool was just too much and they had to jump on.  It would almost inevitably get dumped over and the boys would either scramble back on or make their way to the side of the pool.  

I noticed Brogan bobbing up and down on one occasion, sinking to the bottom of the pool and pushing off to propel himself forward.  He was making his way slowly to the other side but I couldn't see his face so I never thought he was in any trouble.  Until I saw Beckham's face as he reached his arm out toward his friend to help him.  He couldn't quite reach so he let go of the side and swam a little to grab Brogans arm and pull him over to the side of the pool.  By the time I made it to the other side of the pool Brogan was already sitting up on the edge.  He came over and sat with me for a bit and asked for his towel.  After sitting for a moment I asked him if he was OK.  He said "Yeah, thanks to Beckham.  He saved me."  They hopped back up and headed off to the hot tub to squirt water guns at each other as if nothing ever happened.  I looked down at my phone and had just gotten a text from Brogan's mom, "Oh, I should probably let you know, Brogan isn't the strongest swimmer, he usually just stays in the shallow end."  Nice!

 Later on we came home and found a plate of brownies with the best note ever written attached.


 The thing I love most about this story is that this is not out of the ordinary for these two.  They are the best of friends and would do anything for each other.  They just make each other happy.  They are rarely competitive with each other and are always supporting and building each other up.  They just have the sweetest relationship.  We aren't sure just how long their family will be living near us but I know these two will cherish every single moment together and deeply miss each other when they are no longer in Washington.
I'm proud of you buddy.  You are such a good friend and have the sweetest heart.

8 comments:

alpinekleins said...

Hello there,

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on our blog. It is so wonderful to hear of your experience while serving in Honduras. We are so envious of your recent experience of returning to Honduras. Was it was the temple dedication? I'm sure you had an amazing visit.

Your experience seems to be repeated amongst all the returned missionaries we have had the opportunity to visit with. They all share beautiful testimonies of the wonderful people there and how loving and giving they are. We actually feel very privileged to have the opportunity to be able to serve there for three years with all the missionaries. And despite the tumultuous history of the country, really have few hesitations about living in the country. We trust in our Heavenly Father and are anxious to be of service in furthering the work.

I have spoken with another gentlemen who returned many many years before you did, who recently returned for the temple dedication and he is so touched by the amazing growth in the church since he served there. It's a marvelous blessing for the country and the people there. One of our MTC tutors was from Tegucigalpa, and he just cried when he heard the San Pedro Sula mission was being divided and another mission was to be created because of the blessings it would bring to the country.

We have had so many tender experiences. Thank you again for you comments. I would love to hear from you by email if you have any further information you would like to share.

Best wishes,

Kristin (Hermana & Presidente Klein)

Anonymous said...

i have tears in my eyes reading this about this sweet little buddy. what a good kind heart he has!
love you bex! keep being you!
auntie kellee

Elisa said...

What a sweet story and I love Brogan's sweet note to his best friend. You are awesome Beckham!

Anonymous said...

Tears here also. Bex you are my hero too. It is amazing to watch those two together and the relationship they have. Nana

Melanie said...

What a sweet...and scary...experience. So glad they have each other.

foreveryoung said...

So glad this had a happy ending, and it's no surprise he has such a tender heart, just look at his parents!

aLeXis said...

Oh...this made me cry. Love this story so much. Well except the part about me being an awesome mom and just handing him off to you without mentioning the swimming issue. Glad my text made it...AFTER everything happened. (yikes). And Avery just last week said, "Brog remember when you almost drowned and Beckham saved your life." We are forever grateful to Bex. :) And they are my favorite little buddies.

Jill H. said...

Way to go Bex! Sweet story of true friends. So happy everything turned out ok!!