Sunday, February 25, 2007

He's on the move!
Beckham is an official crawler. I have been in denial the last few weeks hoping that he wouldn't master the skill, but he has done it. He crawls all over and I am constantly watching to see if there are any Barbie shoes, dress up jewelry, or little pony accessories near by. How do you do it? Madison is pretty good about knowing what he can or can't play with but there is always the occasional little toy that she leaves on the floor. And somehow he always knows where it is and heads straight for it. He is totally uninterested in toys right now; he prefers cups, phones, keys, and any little fuzz or dirt on the carpet that he can pinch between his little fingers. I am turning into my friend Jamie and vacuuming at least every other day! OK, not really, but I feel the need to now that he is crawling! I had forgotten all the fun things that come with a mobile baby. Like no more enjoying church meetings or dinners out. Madison was so good at restaurants, she would sit in the high chair and keep busy with toys or cheerios. Beckham is another story; he just grabs at everything but toys and wants out...NOW! He has also just barely begun eating baby food so he can't do the cheerio thing yet. We tried to give him a little piece (crumb) of bread the other day and he just gagged on it. I guess we will have to master the pureed stuff first!

Madison found another pretty thing to adorn his head with. This time it was Minnie Mouse ears. Funny how he will leave those things alone but if I try to get a little baseball cap on him he takes it right off. Madison is getting excited for next weekend; we have tickets to go see Disney on Ice. We have been to a few in the past and she just loves them. So, we are going yet again and this time she is going to bring a friend, which is very exciting for her. She has become quite the little helper with Beckham and I think she loves being a little mommy. Sometimes she evens tries to take on the role of being a wifey as well. She is always telling me how handsome daddy looks and that she is excited for her next date with him. Often times at dinner she will also break into formal dinner chit chat conversation. "So daddy, how was your day at work today" is a common phrase. The other day we were in the car on the way home from dinner. Ronnie was, well, a bit gassy and I was starting to get mad at him for stinking up the car. It is one of my little idiosyncrasies that I didn't mention in the blog. I do not like farting (sorry mom, I mean fluffing) in the car or in bed. I don't really like it at all but those two places are definite no no's since it makes me feel trapped! It is so mean to let one in the car when others are stuck and can't get away from it. And in bed, well that's just gross. Oh yeah, and at the dinner table. I can remember thinking it was so funny when my mom would get mad at us for "fluffing" at the table. We would laugh so hard because she was angry and all my dad could do was just laugh. I won't go into any more details but for mom, dad, and Kell I know you will remember, "just squeeze your cheeks!" Anyway, now I think it is pretty gross and want to offer a belated apology to my mother for "all those times!" So back to the story- I had been pleading with Ronnie to just wait until we got outside to do it so that I didn't have to be trapped inside the car. He just wouldn't stop! So Madison told him that since he wasn't listening to me he had to go to time out. When we got home she made him go to the time out corner. Then, she told him he could come out but that he had to apologize for not listening to Mommy. That's right, I have taught her well!

We had one of those moments this week where you wish you had a camera on you but didn't. As Ronnie and I have spent more time in the Bay Area we have become increasingly adventurous in terms of the foods we eat, especially when it comes to international cuisine. It has been said that you could eat at a different restaurant for every meal of every day and in 10 years you still wouldn't have eaten in all of the restaurants of San Francisco. As our palates have broadened, so has Madison's. One of her favorites is sushi. When we first started eating at sushi restaurants regularly, she would eat up seaweed salad, edamame and vegetable tempura. Then she moved on to shrimp tempura and California rolls. Now she is full on eating the raw stuff, mashing it up in her hands and mouth as only a four year old can. Now I suppose that might sound disgusting for you non sushi eaters, but we do like the fact that she will at least try just about anything placed in front of her since she doesn't have any preconceptions about what is good and what isn't. It's great to see have her ask, "What's this mommy?" as she picks up a chunck of raw tuna. "It's tuna, a type of fish," I tell her. "Yummm, I like fish!" The one genre that she will absolutely not touch though is spicy food; she doesn't handle that very well. So when Daddy is eating something that he isn't so keen on sharing, it always ends up being something "spicy."

Well, I hope that wasn't too much "fluffy" talk. It's pretty bad when the "fluffy" story is the highlight of the blog. I guess it was a boring week because there isn't much else to say! I hope your weeks were a little more interesting, and refined!

5 comments:

Heather said...

I feel your pain! Carson puts everything in his mouth too. We'll have to chat soon!

foreveryoung said...

Okay, 2 things on this blog made me especially happy.... 1)Now you feel my pain at restaurants! I was always so emberassed going out to eat with you guys and Kylie was all over the place while Maddie sat quietly in her high chair--so it's really not just my kids! 2)Your son wears dress up too!! Just wait until he hits the Barbie stage. Right now he can plead no contest, but just you wait until he actually is asking for girly things! And your "fluffing" story made me laugh out loud! Way to put the smack down, Maddie!

Anonymous said...

Jodee - you are such a story teller - I had tears laughing at you "fluffin" and "cheek pinching" story. They always say your children will understand when they have children - guess it is true.
The picture of Beckham crawling looks so much like you at that age - I was surprised and pleased - it is like seeing as a baby again. Keep blogging - love them

Jodee said...

I know, i catch myself looking at him and seeing different pictures of me as a baby. It is funny, the same thing happened with maddie, everyone always says they look like Ronnie, and I agree, they really do- but there are these moments when I just see me as a baby. Fun!

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH! I couldn't stop laughing after I read your blog entry. I could picture it now!! haha. Love-Rosa