Monday, November 05, 2007

PURA VIDA!

OK, so we are finally back and frantically trying to get ourselves un packed, find the nearest stores, hook up the utilities, forward the mail and all the other fun stuff that comes with moving. We can't complain too much though, we had a blast in Costa Rica and a few little helping fairies here at home unpacking, getting groceries, cooking, taking care of kids, and baking yummy Halloween treats! Yes, my parents left Saturday, the day we got home. I think I almost cried, it was so nice to have them here helping us unpack and then taking care of the kids while we were gone. I know they wanted to get out of town and back to the peace of their childless home but I sort of wanted them to just move in! We have the room now! Oh well, I guess I will have to be happy with living a mere 5 hours away instead of 10!
So we have lots of things to post about, moving, new house, Halloween, and Costa Rica! My parents have all the Halloween pictures since we were still in Costa Rica (I have not gotten over the guilty "I am a bad mom who wasn't there for Halloween" feelings yet!), so I will post them later. I also have not taken any new house pics yet but, I promise to soon! You will all have to just settle for the amazing Costa Rica pictures that I do have! There are so many, I think we took like over 200 pictures, it was so beautiful there. Since I am using this as my personal journal/scrapbook as well, I want to write about the whole trip. Feel free to skim the lengthy jounaling, I will try and do the condensed version!

Travel went as smoothly as could be. We had a crazy flight schedule since we used frequent flyer miles so we did have to stay over in Atlanta for the night. Besides leaving my Ipod in the hotel in Atlanta, everything went fine. (I am still fuming, I called and they told me nothing had been turned in! Shifty housekeeping!) Anyway, we arrived in Costa Rica, rented our car, and drove to the town of Portrero in the province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica. Guanacaste is to Costa Rica what Washington is to the United States: the Northwest most state in the country and residing on the Pacific Ocean. We stayed at a villa located on a cliff overlooking the ocean. We had an amazing view, a sweet infinity pool, and wonderful care takers who have now become great friends! We stayed 7 days, spent a lot of time relaxing by the pool and at the beach and the rest of the time trying new food and seeing lots of sights! The family who lives in the garage apartment at the house is a very sweet Costa Rican family who cares for the house inside and out. Allen would set up tours for us, showed us around, and was basically our personal guide. His wife Maritza was so sweet, she would sneak in the house when we were out and clean, do laundry and make our bed even though we told her it wasn't necessary. The people we met there (they call themselves Tico's) were so friendly and loved that we spoke Spanish to them. Ronnie and I talked so much Spanish that we are still fighting the urge to answer people in Spanish or talk to our kids in Spanish. We stayed in a beach town so we had a lot of shrimp, lobster, and the best ceviche ever! We tried a lot of different restaurants and even cooked a little at the house. We plan to return with the kids and have them meet Allen, Maritza, and family. We highly recommend a vacation to Costa Rica, it was so beautiful and we really fell in love with the people there. Ronnie and I have been to Honduras as well and we really feel that we have come in contact with some of the most humble, kind, and generous people in the world. We love Central America!

Some Highlights include-

  • amazing views from the balcony and patios of our house.










  • 4 wheeler tours to beaches and through little beach towns


  • a few horseback rides along the beach and to the rain forest- where we got caught in a rain storm and got soaked! We rode horses with names like Nalgon (big butt) and Guapo (handsome)













  • Walks along white and black sand beaches









So it won't let me add any more pictures so I will have to continue on another post...

4 comments:

Marissa said...

Thanks for sharing your adventure. Darrin served his mission in Costa Rica - one of his areas was Guanacaste ... it brought back some memories for him. Hopefully, we will go there one day.

foreveryoung said...

wait, you didn't really post on Monday, did you? I could have sworn I have faithfully checked the blog except for today and maybe yesterday...back to the point, (this may be a long "comment", just to warn you now) I've been so excited to see these pictures and they did not disappoint--breathtaking! Maybe one day we'll have pictures like these, but for now I'll just live vicariously through you! That stinks about your IPOD, and I don't doubt the shiftiness. Jason had some housecleaner either take or throw away a $300 book for his work. And I love that you guys are now friends with the caretakers (and Willy :), although that doesn't surprise me, that's just the kind of people you are! I can't believe that you have kept up your spanish so well, is it all from your spanish immersion program in elem. school? Impressive!
"Nalgon", too funny! I can't believe you can drink the water straight, no animals pee in it? So sad about the turtles...is that lizard INSIDE your house? That is a great picture of you two at the bottom...what an amazing trip, that was fun experiencing it second hand :) Glad you made it back safe, good luck getting settled in and did I not warn you that this would be long?

Jodee said...

Marisa,
You guys should totally go back! I went to Honduras with Ronnie where he served his mission and it was a great time for both of us. It is fun to see the places where he spent so much time and the people who's lives he changed.

Jamie, don't worry, I started the post on Monday but didn't actually post it till Tuesday or so. I had to change the dates so they would all line up in the correct order. Yes, my spanish is all from school but I took it through 12th grade, not just elem. school. Yes, we drank it straight, no filter, hopfully no animals peed in it that day! And no, the lizard is on the outside- thank goodness! There, a long response to your long comment!

Liz said...

WOW!! I am glad you guys had such a great time! What a beautiful place. You guys deserved a break! Reading about your trip got me excited for our cruise. Hopefully we will have as much fun as you guys did!