Dear mom,
You always used to tell me "when your a mom, you'll understand....why I worry so much, why I love you so much, why you have a curfew, why I make you tell me who, what, when, and where before you walk out that door..." And I used to think..."I am going to be such a cooler mom than that!" Well, once again, you were right. Geesh, I really find myself saying that a lot these days. I don't think 15 years ago, when I had that attitude of independence and knowing it all, that I would have ever said you would be right all those times. Maybe I am just growing up, maybe it is because I am a mom now too, but most likely, it is because you were always the one who knew me best. I think that is why God gives us mothers, for a while, they understand us better than we understand ourselves. I know that is true for us. I wouldn't ever admit it then but I know that many times I was amazed at the perfect advice you would give me. It may have seemed like I never listened or what you said didn't stick with me, but it did. I loved our chats, and still do. I always loved it when you would say goodnight to Kellee first and then come in my room last because it meant I could talk to you longer. I'm not sure why but that seemed to be the most common time for me to question you about life, death, and everything in between. Thank you for indulging me, and keeping a straight face when I asked you those questions that would make most moms blush and say, "go ask your father." I always knew that I could talk to you about anything and that is exactly what I want my kids to know too.
I think that I learned even more from your example than from your words. I saw how giving you were to people. You always had some type of party you were organizing for a friend, some gift you were sending, or somewhere you needed to go to help someone. I remember going to your office at work and your secretaries always telling me how lucky I was to have a mom like you. I was so proud to be your daughter.
I have always admired your willingness to give more to others than you keep for yourself. You are always sacrificing for everyone around you and giving anything you can without ever expecting things in return. I don't even think you realize that you are "giving"; it's like second nature to you. You have an amazing heart and a super ability to know just what others need.
I have learned so much from you and continue to realize each day what you have instilled in me. Having Madison in my life has made me aware of just how great our relationship is. I find myself thinking about the times we had together and wanting that for Madison too. I am just grateful that I have your example to look up to as I make my own path in motherhood. Kellee and I talk all the time about how grateful we are to have had such a "normal" childhood. There is so much in this life that can go wrong or happen to a family and we always felt secure, grounded, and loved each and every moment of our lives.
I always felt that I could be completely and uniquely me. I was taught to be independent and strong, but gentle and kind. You gave me your example and knowledge and then let me turn that into the person I needed to be. I have never felt pressure to become a certain thing or act a certain way. You always let me be who I wanted to be and taught me the importance of being the best me I could be.
So thank you for always being my biggest fan and strongest support. Thank you for always loving me even though I may not have deserved it. Thank you for teaching me the value of kindness and charity. Thank you for being the amazing Nana that you are and for loving my children as much as I do. Thank you for letting me be me and loving me weather it was the me you had planned on or not. But most of all, thank you for always being my friend, but for making sure you were my mother first.
I love you mom and hope that you had a wonderful Mother's Day.
Love, Jodee
And to my lovely Mother-in-law: I feel so blessed to have 2 wonderful examples of strong, independent, and loving women to look up to. Thank you for raising such a kind, gentle, and loving man for me to marry. I learn so much about you through how Ronnie treats me and other people. He is an amazing man and I know that he was taught to be so. You are such a blessing to my family, thank you for loving me as if I were your own daughter. Happy Mother's Day!
3 comments:
Oh so sweet! Your mom sounds amazing and I can see where you get all your good traits from :) Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!
Awe, that was very sweet. It sounds like you are a lucky daughter and your mom is a lucky mom. I'm glad you have such a great mother-in-law too. Mom's are the best!
Jodee, I am the lucky one - I have been blessed since the day you were born. I too have always loved our talks. I am fortunate that our relationship has become a great friendship also. Thank you for sharing your children and husband with me - Love mom
Post a Comment