Thursday, July 23, 2009

Beckhams Monster Truck bash!

OK, here we go... I hope I can get through the long list of posts I have to do. Let's start with Beckham's Birthday party. Only about a month and a half ago... He was all about Monster Trucks this year. So, we went with it. Actually, only the cake and his presents had anything to do with Monster Trucks but that's OK, we threw in a bunch of orange plates, cups, and balloons and he was happy. We kept it low key and just had some of his little buddies and their families over for a bbq. It was great weather and even better company.
The Birthday boy and his big orange balloon rockin' the monster truck shirt and cast!
I always have fun decorating their cakes!
The cake was as much fun to play with as it was to eat!

A "Carson's" eye view of the party
My parents came up for his big day again this year. It is so nice having them close. I feel bad though because it seems like every time they come up to visit I put them to work. This time my dad built the kids a beautiful sand box and my mom sewed a cover for it. I am so lucky to be able to just show my dad a picture of a beautiful toy, piece of furniture etc... and have him make it. It was a huge hit with my kids and the rest of the neighborhood! Beckham didn't seem to mind having his leg wrapped up in a plastic bag to keep the sand out of his cast. And when we got that cast off, the first thing he wanted to do was sink his little toes into the sand. They still love it and will spend hours burying dinosaurs, making castles, and shoveling sand into their trucks. My parents were also a huge help with preparing for the party. Sometimes I think my mom holds half my brain, she always knows how to keep me sane. Thanks mom and dad, I love you!
Enjoying the sand box with neighbors!
We also took him out to dinner on his actual birthday. The kids like Red Robin and it was close to a lot of errands we needed to run so that is where we ended up. All were having a great time until the staff came out to sing Happy Birthday to Bex and brought the big red bird along with them. Like his mom, Beckham isn't too fond of big furry costumes and gigantic animal heads on adults. He started crying and buried his head in my lap scared to death that the bird would get him with his huge beak. After they left he would keep looking over his shoulder to see if the bird was coming. I told him the bird went bye bye and he was fine but, little did I know they would return later to sing to the little boy at the table next to us. Nice one mom! We thought it may turn out to be a not so great birthday when he lost his balloon in the parking lot. He stood there forever and watched it float off into the sky. Luckily his sister felt bad for him and gave him hers. He also spotted a fire truck in the parking lot so all ended well!Nothing a little ice cream can't cure!Checkin' out the fire truck with his hero
Monster Trucks and Dinosaurs is where it's at!
We returned home to open presents and play. I had a hard time putting him to bed that night, he stayed up way too late. But, I just didn't want the day to end. I think he had a good birthday; he still talks about his "cool cake with Monster Trucks on it," but fears the mention of Red Robin. We love you buddy, happy birthday!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Hey Jodee for my next b-day will you make me a cake? I've very impressed with your creations:)

Janessa said...

That cake is so cute! You're good! I think that first picture with the sunglasses is my favorite. That's one cute birthday boy! I'm so impressed with the sand box. What a wonderful present. It sounds like you're getting some serious milage out of it and it has sentimental value. Will you be able to take it with you when you move? Happy Birthday Bex!

foreveryoung said...

The freakishly large Red Robin story is cracking me up!! Okay, and why didn't I think of whipping up a cover for our sandbox before it turned into the neighborhood cat litter box? Oh, because I'm not as creative and crafty as your mom...she amazes me and your dad too! What a fun b-day and nice job on the cake!