Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I'm never gonna tell you everything I've got to tell you, but I know I've got to give it a try

Most of you know that my husband is a planner.  He loves creating elaborate and over the top parties, surprises, or vacations.  I am frequently the lucky recipient of these schemes and have enjoyed the ride thus far.  He is also a romantic.  Combine those two together and you have one lucky wife.

Early on in our relationship Ronnie would burn me CD's of his favorite songs.  Being the hopeless romantic that he is, these were not just any ordinary "greatest hits" CD's.  They were usually filled with romantic ballads and encased in home made CD covers with pictures of us on the front. They were usually given to me in such places as Rock Canyon Park, the Temple parking lot, or various overlooks in the great city of Provo.  Yes people, it was all part of his master plan and I bought it!
The songs from these CD's always take me back... sitting in the Integra with Ronnie, asking nervous questions and making small talk while looking out over happy valley and wishing that center console would just disappear.  Air Supply songs are among the many that do that for me.  I know I had heard Air Supply songs before but I never knew just how great they were until they showed up many times over on my CD's.  Those sappy songs that are all too easy to belt out and sing along to hold a special place in our relationship.  You can't help but listen and imagine those words are just for you.
So when I heard that Air Supply was coming to Tacoma I quickly got over the shock that they were one, still alive and two, still touring, and I booked us some tickets for Ronnie's birthday.  We took the only other couple we know that would be as excited to listen to two old men belt out cheesy rock ballads and made a great night out of it.  
It really was such an amazing night that I will never forget.  Dinner was tasty, the company couldn't be better, and Graham and Russell were fantastic.  They were dramatic, sappy, and still rockin' that stage!  We let loose and belted out those lyrics along with the rest of the crowd.  Sure, we were probably the youngest people there and yes, I laughed hysterically each time Russell would hop across the stage on one foot.  But come on, the dudes still wear mesh shirts and leather pants!  You can't beat that!
I love you Ronnie!  I hope your birthday was as much fun for you as it was for me!  Thanks for introducing me to such great tunes.  And thanks for still acting happy when you realized those tickets weren't for the U2 concert.  ily

(pics from the phone)
Graham workin' the crowd
I know the night is fading, and I know that time's gonna fly
lost in love

4 comments:

Alisha said...

Aw! I think I'm gonna cry. That was one amazing night! Definitely not one we will forget anytime soon. Thanks for taking us along on the adventure. Love you guys!!

Janessa said...

You too are way too perfect for each other. You're making me sick:) What a fun night. I have some Air Supply memories of my own, only they are a lot less romantic. My parents must have been big fans because portions of my childhood memories are accompanied by Air Supply songs as background music.

foreveryoung said...

Yeah, he definately set the bar high with your 30th bday, I think the other husbands weren't too happy about that! You are a lucky wife, but he is pretty darn lucky too. I love Air Supply, I'm going to check right now to see if they're coming to Phoenix along with those mesh shirts(although I don't think Jason would be quite as thrilled as Ronnie was to go :). You guys are too cute, love ya!

jhoopes said...

Air Supply takes me back to family trips in an XL van and our record player. I'm all out of love...