Thursday, April 14, 2011

Early Birthday Surprise!

You all now by now that Ronnie is somewhat known for his elaborate schemes and surprises.  Well, he often has a hard time pulling an authentic surprise on me since I now suspect his every move around any holiday, anniversary, birthday etc...
This year he decided to surprise me for my birthday a whole month early so that I was completely unaware.  
And I was!
We went to Seattle for a little get-a-way just the two of us.  He arranged babysitting (THANK YOU!), a hotel, a fun tour of the city's best chocolate hot spots, shopping, dinner, and a spa treatment.  I know, I know-- S.P.O.I.L.E.D!

It was the first time I have left Grace overnight.  That was hard but I knew she was in great hands.  And I didn't have to worry at all because she did just fine without me :(

Scenes from the iphone...
finding our room at The Westin Seattle
A view of Lake Union from our room

After getting ready I was informed that we were going to take a tour of the best places to get chocolate in the city.
I guess you can pay to go on this chocolate indulgence tour with a guide but who needs a guide when you have Ronnie?  He looked up all the spots and we took the tour on our own.
It was cold, a little rainy and windy (big surprise I know).  I was not a happy camper when I was told this was a walking tour of Seattle.  Yeah, there was chocolate involved but still, it was COLD, WET, and RAINY!
My mood drastically changed after our first stop at chocolate box for some S'MORE hot chocolate.  I am not a huge S'MORE fan nor hot chocolate fan so I didn't order one for myself.  Instead I "tasted" Ronnie's.  I think he wished I had ordered one for myself...
 Next we made it over to the Market for a stop at The Confectional.  They are known for their petite cheesecakes.  We bagged one up to try at home.
Not on the tour was Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory.  It wasn't an official part of the chocolate tour but I am a sucker for a good carmel apple so Ronnie made a detour just for me.  We saved that one for dessert!
 This guy let me whisper sweet nothings in his ear while Ronnie was busy buying my apple ;)
The next and final stop was at Frans.  They make the most delicious salted caramels you will ever taste!  Even the Obama's thinks so.  I'm with Michelle, the dark are the best!


 After all that chocolate I needed a workout so naturally, we went shopping.
It is always fun to shop but even more fun if you have a shopping partner.  I don't get Ronnie in a mall very often so this was a special treat for me.  Too bad we found more for Ronnie than me, but I was just happy to be shopping without kids no matter who it was for!

One thing that we really loved in NY was that everyone seemed to eat so late there.  You could pack in a full day of fun and then sit down and relax over a late meal.  Some nights we wouldn't eat until 10p and we would find ourselves still chatting at the restaurant close to midnight.  This was pre-children of course.

So it was nice to enjoy our day exploring the city and then head to dinner around 9pm. 
 Dinner was AMAZING!  I highly recommend Lolas-- go, run, make that resi as fast as you can!  And order the sampler with pita, I could have eaten that all night long!

 After a late dinner, a movie in the hotel room, a fabulous carmel apple, and sleeping in until 8am, we should have gone to the gym!  But instead, we went to dahlia bakery right next door to Lolas.  It was actually a stop on the chocolate tour but we found some fantastic egg sandwiches instead of chocolate for breakfast.  Since it was located right next to Lolas they sold some of their food.  I was so happy to find one of the same dips we enjoyed at dinner and some fresh pita bread to take home.  SCORE!
 We packed up, checked out, and headed to Kirkland for our spa treatment at the Woodmark Hotel and Spa.  Continuing with the chocolate theme, we had chocolate wraps and pedicures.  It was definitely interesting.  As we were lying on the tables all smothered in chocolate and wrapped in mylar, Ronnie looked over at me and says, "I feel like a piece of candy".  He was right.
By this time I think we were thoroughly pampered and relaxed and ready to return to real life.   There is just something about getting away with your spouse, just the two of you.  It feels indulgent and relaxing, and I need that every now and then.  Thanks babe, it was a perfect early birthday surprise!
I think we should do this again, soon!  
And I don't think the kids would mind a bit, they had just as much fun as we did!


7 comments:

Alisha said...

You have an amazing husband Jodee. Anytime you two wanna check out of life, let us know. We're here for ya! Of course it might be a little hard when we move... :(

linda Geertsen said...

Well, I don't know what to say. I look forward to this time of year every year, too. It's totally vicarious, but still so worth it. I love that you write about it. AWESOME! Thank you for sharing.

To be honest, I used to covet (and punch Ty in the shoulder and he'd yell, "What?!") but, NOW, it's like watching a great chick flick. A tradition really. :)

Happy Birthday Girl!

I get the shopping without the kids. All moms do. I get totally excited when I can peruse the makeup aisles of Target all by my lone lonely loner self. AND I don't even buy anything.

love you!
love, linda

Janessa said...

I love, love, love my husband dearly, but I do have to admit that I'm terribly jealous of all the elaborate surprises that Ronnie does for you. What a lucky girl! I love the Chocolate theme. What a clever idea and a fun way to see the city. Happy birthday!!!

foreveryoung said...

If it were even remotely possible to hate you, now would be the time. But since I know you are so well deserving of such a fabulous weekend, I guess we can still be friends :) Seriously, what an amazing time, kudos to Ronnie and happy early birthday to you!! (and PS, 8am is not considered sleeping in).

Marisa said...

So funny with all the jealousy!! I'm so glad Ronnie does those things for your but somehow I'm not really jealous... I think I would be so worried about the cost that I couldn't enjoy it... lame, I know! Remember how the money thing stressed me out at my surprise party? Although the chocolate tour sounds awesome, I will have to hit up some of those places! It was fun to see you the other night!

Nanette said...

How fun!! ( and Yummy!)
Happy Early birthday :)

Melanie said...

That view of Lake Union was the same view we had when we lived in downtown. What a neat birthday surprise!!! So fun...way to go Ronnie!