Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 years later



I could choose to go about my day like any other, but I won't
I could choose not to watch because it makes me sad, but I watch
I could choose to hide the devastation from my kids, but I teach them about the heroes that were made that day
I could choose to ignore how lucky Ronnie and I were to have moved to Maryland just weeks before 9/11/01 after living less than a block from the WTC, but I will feel blessed
I could choose not to count the times I caught the subway under the WTC, but it was daily
I could choose to ignore how scared I was sitting in my apt. in MD watching planes and buildings crash down in cities all around me, but I will acknowledge the fear and power of that day
I could choose not to realize that there are thousands of kids who were not alive 10 years ago but I realize that those kids are living without 2 parents or in military families because of that day
I could choose to forget the many lives lost, changed, spared, and affected 10 years ago, but I will remember
the building on the far right is where we lived that summer


3 comments:

foreveryoung said...

Nicely said. It definately hits home for you thinking of the "what if's". I didn't realize just how close your apartment was. I'm so glad we were able to take the kids there last spring, today had a greater impact on them after being there. Thanks for the tribute.

Janessa said...

Wow, I can't belive you used to live RIGHT THERE. I'm sure that makes everything that happened really hit home. I'm so glad you moved when you did. Thank you for the wonderful tribute and reminder to remember.

jhoopes said...

Man, I had no idea you guys had such close connections to 9-11. I loved the post--it was very moving!! So glad you ended up far enough away...