Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Young Men, Museums, and world class soccer!

It's been a busy week/weekend and I thought I better get this post up before next weekend gets here and I have even more pictures. By the way, if you click on the collages you can make them bigger. Friday I took Madison and Beckham to the San Francisco Children's Museum in Sausalito. We went with our friends Liz and Max. It is a great museum that Madison has enjoyed since we have been here and now Beckham has taken a liking to it as well. The boys especially liked the toddler area with water beds and lily pads to crawl on. We were amazed at how Max kept his balance walking on the water filled lily pads. Madison got dirty painting on the windows and fishing for crabs from the big ship. And they all enjoyed the wave exhibit where you could dress up as a sea creature and see yourself on TV. It was a great morning, but just the beginning to a crazy day.

After the museum I dropped Madison off at a friends house for a play date while I took Beckham home for a much needed nap. I wish I could have joined him but instead found myself frantically cleaning and getting things ready for Ronnie's Young Men's activity. He had all the Young Men in our ward over to watch the trilogy of Lord of the Rings. Yes, that would be over 11 hours of movie watching. They all camped out on the floor, ate lots of junk, and slept very little. The evening was full of pillow fights, indoor soccer games, video games, and of course, Lord of the Rings. As you can see in the pictures, a few of them didn't make it the whole night and ended up paying the consequences. Yes, that is permanent marker! They really are good kids and to my surprise nothing got broken and they even cleaned up before they went home.
I took the kids and headed for the hills...or...the city. We had our own sleepover at my sisters house. I thought I was going to get more sleep there but I don't think I did. Kellee, Robb, and I stayed up late chatting till 3 am and then Beckham decided to wake up at 6am ready to play! So, I tried my best to be quiet so my sister and Robb could sleep but with 2 kids in one room, not possible. We packed up and headed home to fix breakfast for all the boys. We woke them up around 10am with sweet little faces crawling over and pouncing on top of them eager to play! After they left, Ronnie and I decided our days of pulling all nighters like in college are over. We put a movie on for Madison and joined Beckham for an afternoon nap.
Then it was off to a soccer game. We headed down to San Jose to watch the U.S. Men's National Team play China. After sitting through the first half waiting in traffic, we finally got to see the last half where the U.S. defeated China 4-1. Even though Landon Donovan wasn't playing, we did enjoy watching DeMarcus Beasley and Clint Dempsy score for the U.S. After the game we decided we had had enough of waiting in traffic so we enjoyed the warm sun and green grass right outside the car till traffic cleared.
We loved having the Young Men over and have enjoyed being able to share in their lives this year. Ronnie has really enjoyed being the Priest Quorum Advisor and is such a great example to them. They look up to him and all that he has accomplished. He loves the fact that he can pretend to be 16 again and hang out with his buds! A few of them will be graduating and going off to college and one family will be moving this summer. The Strobelt's are a family with 3 boys in the YM program. Each are sweet boys and very involved in their respective YM presidencies. The youngest, Casey who is 12, is Madison's boyfriend. If she is going to an activity with them the first thing she asks is "will Casey be there?" He is so good to her.
Andy, Casey, and Evan, you will all be missed!
Wow, this it a marathon post! I will end now, stay tuned for next week when we celebrate birthdays, preschool, and Nana and Papa!

5 comments:

foreveryoung said...

Holy cow! Life never slows down for you guys! We'll definately have to hit that children's museum next time we're up, it looks like a blast. You are brave to host the YM party, but smart to bail out before the chaos began! (how in the world did they get Lord of the Rings approved for an activity? ha! ha! They must have a pretty cool advisor :) The soccer game sounded fun too, you guys are seriously so good about getting out and going new places--what a fun family!

foreveryoung said...

PS- Maddie's boyfriend is a cutie, she's got good taste!

Jodee said...

OK, so I have been wrestling with this post for too long. I can get it to look great on my computer but on the lap top or ronnie's computer at work it is all out of whack! So do me a favor, let me know what it looks like on your computer- all the collages/picture should be lined up on the left with corresponding paragraphs on the right. So far on the lap top and Ronnie's work one they are overlaping and some pictures are toward the middle. My monitor isn't wide screen and is oversized, maybe that's it! Who knows! Thanks for your help!

foreveryoung said...

I hate that! It is always perfectly lined up until you post it. The collages are still overlapping, but they're next to the right paragraphs. It still looks cute. Sometimes if I go into the "edit html", then you can move it around better, good luck!

Janessa said...

I've been a blogging slacker lately. We've been in and out of town and had company over too. Godd excuses, right? Anyway, I'm back (until we leave on vacation again next week) and trying to play catch up. All the pictures from the children's museum are great. We have an awesome children's museum here too. They are the best! It looks like you had an awesome Memorial day celebration too. What fun memories you are making for your cute kiddos! You are so good with the slide shows and collages. They add a nice touch! Keep up the good work!