Muir Woods
This past weekend we went to visit Muir Woods. It is a National Monument with one of the last stands of old-growth redwood forest on Earth, and it is just a half hour drive from our house! A few years ago, February 14th 2005 to be exact, I had a miscarriage. Not quite knowing what to do, I scooped up the passed sac and headed to the doctor. He told me that usually what is passed is just an empty sac with fluid and to go ahead and throw it away, and that there was nothing they could determine from looking at it anyway. So after heading home, I was about to dump it in the toilet when I took a closer look and found a fetus, complete with tiny arms and tiny legs. I couldn't bare to just throw it down the toilet, but really didn't know what to do with it either. After talking to my sister, she mentioned she and Robb were going to go to Muir Woods to plant a tree. So Ronnie, Madison, and I joined them and buried the little fetus under a baby redwood seedling we bought at the park visitor's center. We thought it would probably get dug up by some animal and not last too long but felt better about that than dumping it down the toilet. However, after a few years, we are happy to report that our little tree is still there! It is growing bigger and looks as if it may make it. After visiting our tree, which is located on a mountain trail outside of the park, we headed down to the actual monument and hiked around the trails till the kids were thoroughly tired. We then ventured over to another family favorite spot and hit the farmers market at the ferry building on San Francisco's Embarcadero. We had lunch, got some yummy local organics and beautiful flowers, and headed home. I then left the kids with Ronnie and headed back up to Sausalito for a baby shower. It was for the wife of one of Ronnie's co-workers. She is a nurse for a plastic surgeon in the city and the shower was given by the Dr.'s wife. They have an amazing home on a cliff overlooking the bay and the city. It was so beautiful! It was fun to have some time to myself with the girls and I think Ronnie and the kids had a good time watching the BYU game. Too bad they lost though! Ronnie was pretty mad by the time I got home, he had TiVo'd it and was fast forwarding each time Tulsa had the ball because it was "too depressing". Sorry babe, there's always next time!
This weekend Ronnie is going to do the ultimate parent test and take both kids on an airplane to see Grandma! I haven't even done that with both by myself! He is so brave! He is attending and speaking at an investment conference held at BYU so he is going to let Grandma have some time with the kids. I couldn't get any more time off work with all the traveling we have been doing lately and I am covering another building this week. So, I will be here by myself. What am I going to do with no kids and no husband you ask? Hmmm, the list is already building! Stay tuned, it should be interesting!
10 comments:
Oh Jodee, what a heartbreaking ordeal for you to go through! I wish I would have been a better friend to be there for you during that time :( I would have done the same thing and had a little memorial too. That's really cool that the tree is growing and thriving. What beautiful pictures on a beautiful day, you have an amazing family! I'm so excited that you have some well deserved alone time coming your way! Try to neglect the apartments just a little bit so that you can pamper yourself!
Great idea. That is so cool that you guys can go back to your tree like that. I won't comment about the BYU game either...
Just a few comments:
1. Now that it is written, does that mean I am locked-in to taking both kids on an airplane by myself?
2. I apologize for throwing that kids toy at the end of the game on Saturday; you're right, that was immature.
3. Have fun with us out of your hair for a weekend, just not too much fun!
Hey Ronnie and Jodee! I found your blog through the Calderwood's. You have such a cute family. Check out our blog: www.chuckgatesfamily.blogspot.com
Just a few replies...
1- Um... YES!
2- It's OK, I forget that when it comes to BYU football you are 10 years old again!
3- Don't worry, I will have no fun at all, just work work work! =)
Aww, what a BEAUTIFUL picture and memory to have!
Rosa
I had to read the last part of your blog twice! Does this mean we get to PLAY this weekend? I am so excited! So when do you want to go to Burke Williams? We can get mani/pedis too! OH MY GOSH, I can't wait! Girls weekend here we come!
Rosa
Awe, what a special way to handle a difficult time. I'm glad that you guys were able to go visit your family tree and that it's doing so well. I love the pictures. Very nice! I hope you have a fun weekend!
Hey! thx for posting on my blog! can't wait to meet you when you move to the GREAT northwest! awesome tree...that's a really cool idea.
Hi Chapmans! Of course, I remember you guys! What an awesome blog and what a cute family! Thanks for stopping by our blog and I will check in often to see what you guys are up to!
Post a Comment