Sunday, August 05, 2007

Finally! A normal week!
Well, not totally normal, but for the first time in a while the kids and I didn't go out of town. Ronnie went to AZ for a day for his Grandfather Lavor Chapman's funeral on Thursday in Mesa. Ronnie really wanted to be there to support his dad; it is not easy to lose both of your parents within 8 months of one another. Ronnie's dad gave the life history and it was a beautiful service. The memorial at the gravesite was especially impressive. Grandpa Chapman is a World War II Army Veteran, so there were soldiers in their dress uniforms waiting for the hearse when it arrived at the cemetary. They escorted the casket, which was draped in an American Flag, to the gravesite and then one of them played taps on the bugle. That was followed by a cermonial folding of the flag and presentation of the flag to Ronnie's Uncle Clifford, who lives at Grandma and Grandpa Chapman's home and took constant care of them in their later years. Ronnie said it sent chills down his spine to hear the Army representative say to his uncle "On behalf of the President of the United States, we thank you for the service rendered to our nation..." We do have so many people to thank for the freedoms we take for granted every day. Grandpa Chapman lived a full and happy life. He passed away in the same month that he turned 90 years old and died just a few blocks from where he was born, which is how he wanted it. Besides his military service, he was a cookie salesman for Nabisco for over 30 years and temple worker at the LDS Mesa temple for over 20 years during his retired days. He also loved working with his hands and was constantly making things out of marble, silver, wood, cermaics, etc. He also built two of the houses his family lived in. We appreciate all he did for our family and are grateful that he has been reunited with his beloved Eleanora.

On Saturday Ronnie and I were able to have a real date, with no kids! My sister came down from the city to stay the night with Madison and Beckham while Ronnie and I went to a movie, dinner, and shopping. We went to Union Square, one of my fav. spots in the city! We saw the movie Hairspray, and it was a great show. It just makes you want to dance, sing, and have a perma-smile on your face. The cast was great, especially Jon Travolta. I highly recommend this flick to anyone! After the show it was off to dinner at Straits, a nice Thai restaurant- yumm. We then walked around the new Westfield shopping center and Union Square. And topped the night off with dessert from Cold Stone. It was kind of fitting since the lead actress in Hairspray was a girl from Utah who was working at Cold Stone when she got the part as Tracy. Yeah, we'll find any excuse to go! It was a great evening with my hubby! And thanks Kell for letting us be real adults and spend some much needed time together.

Also on Saturday was my friend Jamie's 27th birthday. I wanted to take this time to tell her how much I love her and appreciate her friendship. Jame, I love you tons, you are a great BFF and I am so blessed to know you. You make me want to be a better mom, friend, wife, sister, and daughter. You fill so many shoes and do it so perfectly. I don't know of any other person who is so humble, genuine, and sweet. You don't have a mean bone in your body and you are beautiful inside and out. Thank you for being there for me- for listening, sharing, laughing, and making me smile. I hope you had a wonderful birthday. I hope you were spoiled rotten like you deserve and that all your wishes came true. I will now leave you with a few Jame and Jodes BB moments! I love you Jamie Happy Birthday!

  • Harvest Hills
  • the "low income housing"
  • The mothers room, how it all began!
  • play groups
  • Shopping
  • Olive Garden soup salad and bread sticks!
  • walks to the park
  • grilled cheese and tomato soup
  • non stop talks about kids, clothes, labor (or the lack of) nursing etc... (sorry R and J, we love you!)
  • scrap booking nights
  • Vienna sausages- Gross!
  • giving ourselves one foot pedicures (what a joke!)
  • jewelry making
  • movie nights when Jason was out of town
  • road trips to see each other
  • Twinner little girls
  • girls weekend
  • Spa trip
  • getting lost
  • sketchy hotel
  • more trips to see each other
  • leggings
  • The Office
  • more late night chats
  • BB forever!

I could go on forever, there are too many good times with you!

2 comments:

foreveryoung said...

You are the best!! Thanks so much for the sweet things that you said about me and for the little trip down memory lane! You had me cracking up, especially about the one foot massages and the sketchy hotel--don't forget spooning at the sketchy hotel, ha! ha! ha! There's so many other memories that I could add to your list (like the nasty truck driver that was hitting on us while driving to Becca's and getting honked at while you're 9 mo. preggy and I'm in my hooker shoes booking it across 4 lanes of traffic...), you are an amazing friend and I'm so glad that fate brought us together in the mother's lounge! Love you tons! I'm glad you guys enjoyed another fabulous and exotic date night, you sure know how to live it up!

Janessa said...

I want to hear all the stories behind those one liners. You guys are so cute together! Best friends are the best! I'm so glad you and Ronnie got a real date night. That one on one time is so great!