Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Just some thoughts...
Tonight Ronnie flew to Arizona for his Grandpa Chapman's funeral. His Grandma Chapman passed away in November and ever since his Grandpa has not been the same. Quite understandably, when your spouse dies I think a large part of you dies too. Grandpa missed Grandma terribly and has now joined her in heaven. It really got me thinking a lot about that bond of husband and wife. To be so connected that when they pass, you follow soon after. I strongly believe that Ronnie and I were supposed to be together forever. That my life would not be right if I had married another man. Some people say that there isn't just one person out there that is your soul mate, and that you can make it work with different people. Maybe so, maybe you can "make it work" with many different people, but I truly believe that for me, there was one person that was best for me. Maybe I could have made it work with others, still have been happy, and probably would have known no better. Thankfully though, I found the one that would make me the happiest, that would be the perfect opposite, the one that fits my personality, that gets me, the one that I can be myself with and totally surrender to. There is just something about him that is different- but different just for me. He may seem like just another guy to everyone else but that is what I mean when I say that there was one guy that was my perfect match. I could have been happy with a lot of "just another guys" and he could have made a lot of other girls pretty happy too, but with each other, together, it's the best, the happiest, the perfect. I am not sure how else to say it, it is something that I have thought a lot about. And I know many people don't agree, even Ronnie didn't believe in "soul mates" (and I use that term with hesitation, it still doesn't quite explain), but I am totally convinced. There are just too many of those moments, those certain things, those little feelings that prove he is my perfect. There is a song that Ronnie and I love, it says- "Next door there's an old man who lived to his nineties and one day passed away in his sleep. And his wife; she stayed for a couple of days and passed away. I'm sorry, I know that's a strange way to tell you that I know we belong."
However strange it may be, just like Grandma and Grandpa Chapman, I know we belong. And I am "The Luckiest!"

6 comments:

Rachel said...

How sweet. That was beautiful. Seriously. Oh, and I know that song and LOVE IT!

Carson Calderwood said...

We have discussed that issue a lot as well. We think that there are probably some out there that don't have a "soul mate" and others that do. Logic would dictate to me that even if you had 300 trillion choices one would have to be better than the rest, even though the differences would be very small compared to number 2 best. We feel comforted in knowing that we didn't just randomly choose each other, but had very distinct things that happened to bring us together. 8 years later and having met many more people we are even more sure of that. Glad we didn't have to find each other on our own!

Jodee said...

so true carson, especially with how fast a lot of members make the decision to get married, it is a really good thing we don't do it alone!

foreveryoung said...

That was so touching and made me want to run and go snuggle with Jason! Thanks for allowing me to reflect on my own relationship and how much Jason and I are meant to be as well. I'm sorry to hear about Ronnie's grandpa, but I'm glad that there is such comfort knowing that he is with his "soul mate".

Ronnie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Janessa said...

Wow, that was beautiful. You are so eloquent. I totally know what you mean. Knowing that our "just perfect for us" relationships can last forever makes it that much more perfect. I'm so glad Ronnie's grandparents are together again.