Berry picking
One of my most favorite memories from growing up is probably going to pick strawberries with my mom and grandma. We would go out to the field on a summer day and pick baskets of berries to take home. We always left with red stained fingers, dirty knees, and tummys full of freshly picked berries. Then my mom would whip up a few fresh treats or freeze a bunch to enjoy later. It was always quality time spent with my mom and I loved having that. I have been wanting to take Madison lately since she has such a love for gardening. She is always outside with me pulling weeds, picking flowers, or asking to plant vegetables. We didn't quite get the yard done early enough to tackle a garden but next year I am looking forward to it.
A few weeks ago my neighbor was taking her mom, who is visiting from Malaysia, to pick raspberries at a local organic farm. She asked if we wanted to join her and so we did. I was a little worried about how Beckham would do with the giant field to run around in and the many berries to squish but I am pleased to say that he didn't get lost and only smashed a few berries in his little basket before getting too bored. Madison LOVED it and danced around singing "this is so fun, so fun, berry picking is so much fun" the whole time. I think she and I will definitely be back to carry on the tradition.
There is just something so satisfying about picking all those berries with my kids, mashing them up, and then re-organizing them into cute little uniform jars for all to enjoy! If you can't already tell, I am somewhat pleased with myself! Get ready for beans mom, I've caught the canning bug!
12 comments:
That sounds so yummy! I need to find some berry fields down here. I love fresh picked berries!
...and organic!! :)
What a fun outing, I wish we had a berry farm here! I am laughing at your comment about cutting out half the sugar, I think I may have doubled the sugar when I made mine :) just kidding, but it does sound like something I would do! There is something about canning your own food that makes you feel so domesticated. Once again, I wish we lived closer and could spend all day canning together...I just finished doing chicken. It was, um, interesting.
How fun! And yummy jam, too. That is one BIG project. Way to go. :)
The jam was really ymmy! Her father even loved it and he usually doesn't eat jam. way to go Jodee! Love, mom
you have to put the recipie you used up on your blog for the rest of us to use (your modified recipie of course)...I made the low sugar freezer one on the back of the (whatever that stuff is called)package last year for the first time and it was delicious, but you have one with even less sugar I am all ears...and how cute pics you got of your kids in the berry patch!!
I know I say this all the time but I'm so jealous of Madison! I take my kids berry picking almost every year and afterwards I always wonder why I think that will be a good thing with my kids, and then I wind up staying up half the night trying to finish up the jam... but I do love freezer jam and I agree it's so much better than what you can get at the store!
How fun! We need to get out there before it's over. I do worry how the girls will do, though. Good to hear that Beckham didn't go too crazy! I do have to say that you do sound like a domestic goddess with your jam. Very nice!
What fun memories! I'm so impressed with your "Jodee-ized" jam. That sounds so yummy!
What fun memories! I'm so impressed with your "Jodee-ized" jam. That sounds so yummy!
I was just looking at Rachel's photography blog and saw your adorable family photo shoot! They are absolutely amazing! You all look fabulous! I'm sure you'll be posting some on your blog soon:) Can't wait to see more!
These pictures look like your livin' the all American dream. So organic. I don't get that here in LA.
Post a Comment