Finally admitting I bit off more than I could chew...
Immediately following Madison's birthday party we ripped down the fairy decorations and threw up the BYU gear. A bunch of friends came over for the BYU vs. UofU football game. Little did they know that they would be helping to set up chairs, tear down twinkle lights and fairy canopies, and sweep up glitter. I'm such a bad hostess; making my guests work! (Sorry Janine, but thanks so much for all your help!) They were so sweet to help us out and calm my frantic nerves as I hurried to get things ready. Everything turned out great; great food, great company, even great pre-game highlights running in the garage... but the game; not so great! It was a hard game but I guess we have to let those Utes win once in a while or else it wouldn't be much fun. Right?
He's supposed to be biting my neck not tickling me...
After the game we shewed our guests out the door and got ready for party number 3. Some good friends invited us over for a Twilight party. We ate pizza, played twilight quiz games, had a photo shoot, and then went to the movie. We got in line with all the screaming teenagers to enjoy the show and you better believe we were first!
Now, for the review...
I have read all the books and enjoyed them. They are not intense thrillers or deep meaningful spiritual reads, but they are entertaining and I liked them. A lot of people I know have a hard time admitting that they like the books, want to see the movie, or have fantasized about their own Edward Cullen. I find that when I talk to people about them they try their hardest to tell me that they didn't like them, got bored, or thought they were silly. There are even some who refuse to read the books or see the movie just because the whole rest of the world is doing it. Scared to get caught up in the "popularity" of it all I guess. All I have to say is... WHATEVER!!!! Stop worrying that you might like them just as much as your teenage cousin or that you may just want to go see the movie with "all the other moms in the ward." Stop trying to pick out what is wrong with them to cover the fact that you really did fall in love with Edward or that you thought it was cute the way he looked at Bella. And quit saying you are on "team Jacob" just to be different, nobody REALLY likes Jacob more than Edward, seriously people! So for those of you who want the REAL scoop on Twilight, keep reading. I will give my opinion of the movie from a non-psycho, non-obsessive, non-judgemental, plain Jane, just enjoyed the fun read and entertaining flick, doesn't care what other people think, not trying to disagree to be different, perspective. Here you go...
- Edward- not my personal vision of beauty, but not too sore on the eyes either. Really though, shave that chest hair will ya? The kid's supposed to be smooth as marble, she only describes him like 167 times in each book! But, despite the hairy chest, by the end of the movie I was smitten! He was charming, heroic, graceful, and could run up a tree like a little monkey!
- Bella- she annoyed me just a little in the books but in the movie she was cute. A little bit of over-acting but for the most part pretty great. And, she looked exactly like I pictured in my head.
- The meadow scene- horrible! It was one of the best parts about the book but in the movie, it was awkward, choppy, and cheesy. I think they tried too hard to be artistic or something?
- James, Victoria, Laurent- perfect! Casted great, acted well, looked amazing!
- Bella's house- totally as I had imagined. Her room, the window in her room, the stairs, the little kitchen... everything was just as I pictured it
- Cullen Mansion- um... what? When do 100 year old vampires live in a modern, brown, vogue house? Wasn't it supposed to be white, elaborate, and more... I don't know... like how I imagined it in my head?
- Alice- not as cute and adorable as described in the book
- Rosalie- nope, not what I pictured either, but she had the perfect "Rosalie attitude."
- Carlisle- loose the weird hair color! I pictured him a little older and much cuter, but other than looks, he was great.
- Esme- lame, she was too... fake. Esme's not fake
- Emmett- cracked me up the WHOLE movie. He was casted great but what was up with the gorilla/king-Kong action jumping on top of every vehicle he could manage?
- Jasper- he was just weird for me... creepy...but not vampire creepy...just creepy creepy.
- Charlie was too young and clean cut for me. I pictured him a little older and rough around the edges. But other than looks, he was spot on! Totally loved their relationship in the books and the movie.
- The ballet studio scene and the ones leading up to it ROCKED! Exactly how I pictured it!
All in all it was a good show. I am not sure how I would have liked it if I hadn't read the books. It made it hard for me to clearly rate the movie. I think if I had not read the books, the movie would have been a little empty. But, my head filled in a lot of the missing parts. It was fun to compare the two and see how they stacked up to what I pictured when reading the books. I am sure it is hard to make a movie after a book, everyone creates such different pictures in their own heads. It was fun to watch it with friends who had read the books and their spouses, who for the most part had not. I filled Ronnie in on some of the differences from the books and some details that they left out in the movie. He enjoyed it, and even stopped sulking about the game for a few hours. That was worth it right there!
Here are a few pictures that our friend Matt took from the evening. He went all out and put a lot of thought into each detail of the evening. We even had blood soda and cookies! Thanks Matt, it was fantastic! Oh, and Jean Phillipe, he rocked!
The host and his Bella- check out those eyes
At the front of the line!
Waiting in line is hard work for Troy
8 comments:
That picture of Ronnie and you is so cute! You guys are perfect together. I don't know how you do it Jodee, but you are amazing!
Party animals!!! How do you do it all?! That was a bummer about the BYU game but Twilight sounds like a great way to rebound. I'm probably going to go see it this week with our Thanksgiving guests. I can't wait!!! Thanks for your review. It was very objective and didn't give anything away. Perfect!
excellent review Jodee. Nice comments on not fearing the popular. Things are usually popular for a reason right? Anyway, here's to hoping for a better second movie!
You go girl! Speak your mind. I couldn't have said it better. Will you be my Twilight buddy??
I'm so glad you came to the party. When it comes out on DVD we need to get together and watch it again. Oh yeah, baby!
Wow, you guys know how to party! Thanks for a honest review of the Twilight movie. I haven't seen it yet but looked the characters up online. I was dissappointed with a few of the choices and your review reinforced that. Maybe I'll wait until it comes out on DVD...maybe...
Jodee kuddos for helping Ronnie get over his lost game blues. I'm glad you had such a good time. Madison is a beautiful young lady;)
I'm thinking of jumping on the Team Jacob bandwagon just because he was so hot in the movie! Much cuter than I had pictured from the book. Great review, I think I agreed with you on most everything. What a fun part-ay weekend!
Jo you are so funny! i love you!
K
Post a Comment