Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Happy Birthday Madison

Today my little girl turns 6 years old... I am not happy about it at all! 5 was hard, 6 is even worse. I am not going to go on about all the reasons why I am not liking this day but I will say this- with each year she proves to me that she is happy, healthy, grounded and kind. She takes care of her brother, smothers her daddy in kisses and hugs and wants nothing more than to hang out with her mommy 24/7. That makes it all better I guess.

I love you little bug, may all your wishes come true...

Saturday was her party. This year her only request was to have a friend party at home. Her birthday falls right around Thanksgiving and so far we have always celebrated with family at either my parents or Ronnie's parents house. So this year, before we took off for Nana and Papa's, we celebrated with 9 of her favorite fairy friends. The invitations went out announcing that a little fairy was waiting to party in her fairy garden. They all gathered together to make wings, wands, fairy houses, go on scavenger hunts, play fairy games, and eat fairy food. It was a party indeed and we had so much fun!












I started by telling them a story about fairy Madison and her one birthday wish granted by the Pegasus pony. She wished to gain her fairy wings with all of her friends. So that is just what we did. We made wings, wands, and then little fairy houses with tiny wooden fairies inside. The girls had a great time attaching jewels, flowers, glitter, and magical fairy dust to each fairy essential.
After the crafts we settled down for some fairy food that consisted of-
  • pb&j sandwiches cut into stars, butterflies, and hearts
  • fairy fruit wands topped with melon stars
  • magic pretzel wands covered in chocolate and sprinkles
  • fairy fizz
  • cupcakes with flowers on top










We then read another letter from the Pegasus Pony that told the girls some naughty little trolls had hidden all the presents while they were playing at the party. They had to follow clues that lead them around the house to find all the presents. Each girl got to get the present they brought for Madison and help her open it. I took pictures of each one and will print them out and include it in the thank you card. My sister made Madison a canopy to hang over her bed a few years ago. We hung it over a couch in the family room and packed it with plenty of pillows. It made the perfect fairy throne for the girls to sit and open gifts together.












Things went well, each little girl left smiling from ear to ear and decked out in fabulous fairy garb. After all her friends left, Madison gave me a big hug and said "mommy, this is the BEST birthday EVER!" That made it all worth it!
Birthday take 2...
Last night we took Madison out for her birthday dinner. We let her choose the restaurant and she chose Olive Garden. She loves that place! I was just happy it wasn't McDonald's!
And last but not least...
This morning we woke Madison up and made her requested birthday breakfast; chocolate chip mini mouse pancakes that she got to decorate, and strawberry smoothies. She was super excited to be going to school ON her birthday and is now playing at a friends house. Other than her Dr. appointment this afternoon I think her birthday is pretty much perfect. Tonight we will have a little dessert and open presents as a family to end the birthday extravaganza! Phew, I'm tired!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jodee! You are the best mom ever. What a fun birthday and so creative! I am continually impressed. Happy Birthday Madison!

Love,
Natalie

Liz said...

Again Jodee, I nominate you as mother of the year!

Happy Birthday Madison!

(are you guys going to Utah for Thanksgiving?)

Janessa said...

WOW! That is the funnest best at home birthday party I've ever heard of. Will you come do my kids' parties next year? You are amazing!!! What a lucky girl Madison is. She is such a beautiful 6 year old. I love that first picture of her. Happy birthday!

Marisa said...

Wow, that is quite the birthday party, you're putting me to shame!!! Happy Birthday Madison!

Alisha said...

Jodee, will you be my mom? I want a birthday party like that! Holy cow girl! All I can say is amazing.

foreveryoung said...

You know she's getting old when she picks Olive Garden over McD's! Happy b-day Madison! I still remember celebrating her first birthday. What an adorable party, I think you need to go into the party planning business!

Anonymous said...

Your blog is so entertaining and wow you are an amazing mom!! You have great ideas! - Mormon Mommy