Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Blind Pilot

Meet Ryan...Ryan is an amazing artist, talented musician, and most wonderful friend. Ryan and I met in Middle school; he in the 7th grade, I in the 8th. I was "going out" with his best friend, for quite a long time, especially for middle school. Ryan didn't like this much; he thought he was better suited for me than his own best friend. Now that I look back, he was probably right. Ryan wrote me letters, drew me pictures, talked to me on the phone for hours. I still remember sitting in his room listening to mixed tapes he had made me and laughing about how he recorded my favorite parts of each song over and over again. He was great. We were great. Then I went to high school. He didn't like that all his friends were leaving him. He was wise, he knew what could happen... and it did just a little. We drifted apart for a while. We both found other people to obsess over for the moment but, lucky for me, we remained close.
After graduation we would catch up every once in a while and play the "what have you been up to" questions. No matter how long it had been since we last talked, we seemed to always pick up right where we left off. We would chat on the phone, face book, text, and then, FINALLY, got to actually see each other again! His band, Blind Pilot, was playing a show in Seattle and I knew I couldn't miss it. Ronnie and I drug the Calderwoods to the show so we could eat a fantastic dinner and listen to some even more fantastic music. It was splendid! The show was amazing! And I was so proud!

I always knew that Ryan was a true talent. I knew that if he continued to do what he loved he would do it well. He has not only proven to be a successful and popular musician but also a thriving artist with his own gallery full of beautiful paintings. We got to catch up again after the show, this time face to face. I can't even tell you how great it was to hug that boy again. He is still one of my most favorite people. He was still genuine, happy, hilarious, and adorable, just as he was in the 7th grade. We talked about how crazy it is that we haven't seen each other for SO long. He told me, "maybe this is our time, Seattle is a lot closer to Portland than San Francisco." He's right, and I am so glad. I love you Ry! You are amazing! Keep doing what you love, you do it so well.Whenever these two get together they think they are on a date of their own... I don't think the candle lighting helped the cause...Please check out the links embedded in this post. Ryan and Israel have amazing stories to tell. They just got done with a bike tour of the west coast, what an amazing experience! They are headed out on another tour, this time they are going all over the US (in a motorized vehicle!) If they even get near your home town you must check them out. I promise you won't be disappointed. (click here for their tour dates) Oh yeah, and it just so happens that they will be the musical guests on Last Call with Carson Daly this coming Wed. night. It's on super late here, but I will be watching, you should too!

9 comments:

Kristen said...

Jodee, your craft talents continue to amaze me, it's a wonder you've been hiding them so long;) Isn't it great to hook up with old friends. Hope you're all well.

Kristen said...

You know, I think Ronnie's favorite thing to do is to make other people laugh. He's a crack up.

linda said...

Are you a groupie? A married one at that? You rock Jodee!

susan said...

Wow - what a blast from the past! Ryan Dobrowski! Pretty cool to see what he is up to. I'm definitely forwarding this to Jessica. :)

Ronnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janessa said...

How fun to have a famous friend! Sounds like a fun reunion and a great night out.

Marisa said...

Thanks for the fun night! I love the pic of Ronnie and Carson, silly kids!

foreveryoung said...

Okay, I'm glad to hear that "Blind Pilot" is the name of their band. After reading the title, I was worried that this was going to be a sad post about your dear friend who was a pilot and lost his eye sight. That is cool to have a chance to reconnect with your old buddy. I love the picture of Ronnie and his date, ha!

Sam and Josh said...

That is so awesome to have a popular friend and to see each other again after so long. Love the guys too, what crack ups.