Smaller footprints, bigger handprints

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.
~Native American Proverb
People always say they want to be remembered when they die; they want to leave an impression on this world. I see what they mean. But, I feel that we are leaving too big of a physical footprint on the earth. Are we going to be remembered for the stuff we left and things we used or for what we did to make this place better for those who come after us.
I hope that my children's children will be affected more by what I taught than by how much I consumed. I hope that I will leave teachings, examples, and memories to my children instead of more trash, pollution, and depleted resources. I want my physical presence to be less and my charitable presence to be greater. In other words, I want to continue to make my footprints smaller and my hand prints bigger by living more simply and contributing more extravagantly.
So, for Earth Day and my looming 30th birthday, I have a favor to ask of you. I have been thinking about this for a while now and wasn't sure if I was brave enough to ask. But I am, so I will...
For my birthday, I wish, for 30 people (friends, family, and blog stalkers alike) to either
1) change something about the way you are living to be more environmentally friendly, in an effort to leave a smaller footprint on the earth.
or
2) do a random act of kindness for someone in an effort to make a "bigger hand print" on the earth.
And then, comment on this post to let me know what you did. My hope is to get people to do something specifically different from what they have been doing, one new change or one act.
It doesn't need to be big, just something. I know I have at least 30 people that read this blog right? Come on people, make my birthday wish come true! Don't go buy anything, just make my day by helping our earth and those that live on it. I know this will be great! I am so excited! I can hardly stand it! Happy Birthday to me!
Love,
Jodee
10 comments:
I love this post and idea! Ok, here's what I'm working on: riding my bike to and from wherever instead of driving as much as possible, using no bags at the grocery store, trying to buy in bulk if at all possible so as not to use packaging, trying to purchase foods all grown within 100 miles of where i live (really important goal with respect to carbon emissions used in transport), compact flourescent lightbulbs, growing a garden, and letting people know i care about them! We've got a year to level out carbon--let's do it!
love,
nat
Having grown up in Seattle, most "save the earth" behaviors are like second nature to me, BUT since I just hauled a big bag of stinky diapers out to the trash this morning I guess my contribution should be to potty-train Caeden! I think he can do it, I just needed to wait until my life wasn't so crazy so I guess now's the time!
P.S. That picture was AMAZING!!!
I can do this for your birthday--happy birthday! Loved the picture and the Proverb. Really cool. I will leave a bigger handprint on the earth by doing a random act of kindness. :) Thanks for asking!!
hmm.....well, first, Happy Birthday! Interesting wishes! While I find a lot of discrepancies in reports in all the stuff about "carbon footprints", I did buy veggies for my garden yesterday - so we'll count that! Enjoy the thirties - they go by too fast!
Happy Birthday and you are always thinking of something fun to do. I always try to do something for someone else atleast a couple times a month.
I am going to remember to bring my reusable bags EVERY time I shop!
Also I have been wanting to start buying eco-friendly cleaners . . . or make them.
Well said girl! Great challenge. We have been concerned about things as well and especially in today's economy as well. We have been trying to drive less, consume less, use the "green" grocery bags, and I definately think I paid my dues when the twins were babes by doing cloth diapers and making my own cleaners and detergents. Love Ya!
Happy birthday! I totally am in the spirit for this. Check out my blog to see what I am hoping to accomplish!
danwoodwardfamily.blogspot.com
And, there are more changes that I am working on!! Stay tuned...
What a great post, I'm going to have to think about this one and get back to you, but I promise to not forget! I loved seeing you and I miss you already!
Post a Comment